Tuesday, 13 March 2012

The 2 Day Durban to Johannesburg (DJ) Vintage Motorcycle Rally - A first time perspective

Physically shattering, what more can I say. How these old fellas complete this rally every year is purely inspirational. The oldest rider to complete the rally this years was 89.

The 2 day rally is more of an endurance time trial than anything else. There were 135 pre 1936 motorcycles that started the rally this year from the top car park of the Hillcrest Shopping centre near Durban. There were several speed categories in the event and the number 1 bike , a 1910 Humber started off at 6.00am. Each bike then left at 1 minute intervals and had several speed and directional instructions on the supplied route schedules for each day. Being bike number 77, I left at 7.17am. The old man was number 78 and left 1 minute after me.

the rally is held over 2 days with day 1 being around 370 kilometers and day 2 around 300 or so. Whilst this does not sound so bad to the casual observer, due to the rally restrictions and speed instructions this equates to around 9 hours in the saddle on day 1 and another 8 or so on day 2.

Remember, this is being completed on a pre 1936 motorcycle with a hard as hell seat and little or no suspension systems apart from possibly a couple of 4 inch springs on the seat.

I felt fairly comfortable with my start on day 1. I was a little apprehensive but once I got going I found the route schedule fairly easy to follow. About 2 minutes in I passed a bike that had failed and was being loaded up onto a trailer. How disappointing this must have been for the rider?

 

After the start and around 60 kilometers in was the first fuel stop at Pietermaritzburg. I filled up there but probably did not need to. The Zenith only took about 3 or 4 liters of fuel. This bike has a big tank. We had 15 minutes at this stop.

One of my biggest fears throughout the rally was not being able to restart the bike after it had warned up. Some of these old bikes can be very temprementle and I had not had enough time to get intimate with her peculiarities. I decided that the best way to start her was to put her on the side stand, get up on the left peg and give her a real good kick. Unfortunately, whilst doing this the side stand gave way and the bike tipped off the stand and onto her left side. The embarrassments of this situation seemed to give me supernatural strength and after picking her up and a few swift kicks I was off again.

After another 65 kilometers there was another fuel stop at Mooi River. The rally took us through some stunning scenery, up and down the enscarpement and past some historic landmarks including tohe Nelson Mendella capture site. Durning the 20 minute stop at Mooi River I noticed that the slip at Pietermaritzburg had resulted in the side stand jamming up near the left foot peg and loosening the nut associated with the peg. I took some tools and tried to tighten it and found that the bolt was threaded. As a result of this I used cable ties to secure it to the frame but it was loose for the remainder of the rally.

After another 31 kilometers we stopped for lunch in Estcourt. We had 40 minutes there and lunch was provided and taken at an old church that had been used as a hospital for the British during the Boer War.

After another 62 kilometers there was a fuel stop outside of Dundee. By this time I was starting to fatigue and the hot sun and windburn was taking it's toll. We then travelled through the outskirts of Ladysmith and on to Danhauser for another fuel stop. This was about 90 kilometers from the Dundee stop. By this time I also noticed that the sole on my right boot was coming apart so it was back into the toolbox and out with the gaffer tape.

After this we travelled 50 kilometers to Newcastle. At Newcastle we booked into a chalet at the Majuba Lodge refueled and checked the bikes and after dinner and a couple of drinks it was straight to bed.

 

 

Day 2 commenced about 20 kilometers out of Newcastle at Ingogo Station. This was a requirement due to the large amount of road work that were being completed just north of Newcastle. The rally commenced at 7.00am and we got the well ahead of time at about 6.30am. The times were all set back an hour from day 1 and this meant that I was due to start at 8.17am.

As I have previously stated, this rally is a big reliability trial and this was apparent by the number of bikes that had broken down and were on trailers after the end of day 1. One particular Triumph had internal issues with a broken grudgeon pin in the engine. The rider stripped down the bike whilst in Newcastle, arranged for someone to machine him a new part about 10.00pm that evening and reassembled the bike for the start of day 2. Unfortunately the bike failed again a short was in and this was the end of his rally. Knowing how my father works, prepares and treats his vehicles I had no doubt that the Zenith would make it.

Climbing back into the saddle on day 2 and knowing that I had a reliable machine under me was very reassuring. However my body was not as reliable and a short time into the ride all the cramps and pains came back from the previous day.

28 kilometers into day 2 we stopped for 15 of refueling at Smitt Motors in Volkrust . As I pulled into the garage I rode past a bike with it's clutch apart and the rides and others feverishly trying to put it back together in time to avoid hefty time penalties.

After another 80 kilometers we stopped again at Vaal Rivier Motors in Stanarton. I filled up the Zenith here and was fairly confident that this would get me through the next few fuel stops without refueling. During the next section of the rally we passed over some of the worst roads that I have ever come accross. The frequency and severity of the pot holes was unbelievable. Whilst I was confident of the bikes reliability, the road was that poor that I was a little worried that something was going to be vibrated loose and come off. Shortly after this section I noticed a fiend Howard, loading his Sunbeam onto a trailer with a rear puncture. Possible the poor roads had caused a spoke to pierce the inner tube. So close, but so far, Howard was devastated.

64 kilometers later was another 20 minute fuel stop in Greylingstad. The weather was hot and fatigue really starting to settle in by this time.

After another 52 kilometers of rallying we stopped at a church hall in Heidleburg for a 40 minute lunch break. This was the last stop before the home bound stretch and by this time I was confident of finishing. After lunch I had some serious difficulty in starting the Zennith. I kicked and kicked her and even tried a push start with no luck. I had fatigued severely by this time and Howard gave me a hand to kick her over. After starting her I noticed that I had reversed the order of the advance/retard and choke levers and this is why I was struggling to exhaustion. I put this down to fatigue at the time.

54 kilometers later and the rally came to an end at the James Hall Museum of Transport in Johannesburg.

 

The James Hall Motor Museum is located in a questionable part of Johannesburg and this was highlighted by an event that occurred later that afternoon. Another competitor who had recently migrated to Australia had parked his fathers utility vehicle outside of the museum grounds due to the large crowd and associated vehicles that were in attendance. When they returned to the vehicle a few hours later, all of the tool boxes and his bags had been stolen and an attempt had been made to hot wire and steal the vehicle. I saw him the next morning at the prize giving breakfast and he was wearing his fathers shorts as he had no clothes left.

In total, 88 bikes completed the 2012 DJ Rally and for any motorcycling enthusiast, this event could only be considered as the premier vintage motorcycle rally in the world. I am extremely gratefull for being offered the opportunity to participate in this rally and it has surely been one of the highlights of my adult life. The knowledge, commitment and compadre associated with these types of events can not be understated.

I have taken a large number of photographs associated with the rally and also several hours of HD video. When I return to Australia I will be editing a presentation that I hope to deliver to the Western Australia Vintage Motorcycle Club. I will also be making these images available on my photographic website www.davewhitnell.com

Next year is the 100th anniversary of this event and the organizers are expecting a large number of competitors. Planning for the 2013 DJ has already commenced.

A full story, photographs and list of event results can be located at the Classic Motorcycle Club website.

 

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Dave, sounds like an enjoyable challenge. Just as well the weather gods were kind to you and the other riders!

    ReplyDelete