Monday, 5 March 2012

Afternoon Braai

Spent all of Sunday morning at the South African, Classic Motorcycle Club with the folks. Met many extraordinary people and reacquainted myself with some gents that I met a few years ago when I rode in a Velocette vintage motorcycle rally with the old man.

There were many bikes and riders at this monthly event and they come from everywhere for a big cooked breakfast that is put on by the local Lions club. The cost of the breakfast is R30 ($3.71). There were even a number of patched motorcycle club members at the event. Representation from clubs wearing colors 'Satan's Saints', 'Hells Angels' and 'Crusaders' we're present. Whilst there colors were reminiscent of traditional outlaw motor cycle club colors that may be found in Perth, the majority of persons wearing these colors were cleanly dressed and riding modern Japanese cruiser styled motorcycles. Not what you would expect from a traditional outlaw motorcycle club member!

The Classic Motorcycle Club is established on an old bowling green that was actually used to hold the World Championship of bowling some years ago. It was a hot day of around 30 degrees and after walking around the venue and inspecting many of the bikes that were parked and displayed on the green and stalls of second hand parts for sale I eventually submitted to the pressure of Pierre Cronje ( the club Chairman and Clerk of Course for the DJ Rally) and accepted a 660ml bottle of Windoek draught beer. I took the opportunity there to also purchase a couple of rubber moldings that should hopefully replace the frayed ones that are on my 1959 BMW R60.

About 4 or 5 bottles later (the old man included), Mom drove us back home via a couple of shops to obtain some fixings for the bikes and food for the Braai that we had invited Pierre, his wife Gweneth and a fellow DJ first timer, Howard and his partner Elaine to later that afternoon at the folks house.

 

This was a lovely day and after a fantastic meal, the guests left by about 8.00pm. Elaine was the first person to hand feed the black swans and to see this was quite surreal.

I was up fairly early today and drove down to the local Spar supermarket to purchase some food and the like for an oxtail portjiekos that I promised I would make for dinner. My sister Jenny, brother in law Dennis and Pierre and his wife Gwenth will be comming over for supper tonight.

I also ended up driving to Benoni, with the aid of a Garmin GPS that got me lost for about 1/2 an hour, to pick up the micro sim for the folks iPad. Looks like they are all connected now and I hope to familiarize them with the operating system over the next few weeks before I travel home.

The fire for the portjiekos.

The oxtail about 2 hours in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment